Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Dispatch From the Comics and Medicine Conference in Seattle

Hello all, just got back from the Comics and Medicine conference in Seattle. It was a good opportunity to meet people who have been instrumental in the success "My Degeneration" has met with, especially MK Cizerwiec, who has been a tireless, enthusiastic, and influential friend of the book, Kendra Boileau, who was the editor I worked with most, Susan Squier, who was the series editor, and Ian Williams, who gave early encouragement. Thanks again to all four.

The conference was a great chance to meet other figures from the small-but-growing world of Graphic Medicine, and see the work of other practitioners in the field. Among the many people I met were Brian Fies, author of "Mom's Cancer", Michael Green, co-author of "The Graphic Medicine Manifesto" and Dana Walrath, who wrote "Aliceheimers".

My favorite part of the conference was talking to the many professors who are actually teaching "My Degeneration". I lost count after six (following the principle of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, many) but it was fun to hear what students, both undergraduates and those from medical school, made of the work.

The most surprising thing to come out of the trip was to find out that Dr. Michael Green is doing a study on the effect of Graphic Medicine on doctors, caregivers and patients, and he chose "My Degeneration" as the text to be tested! I asked what criteria drove the choice, and among the factors were, I got the medicine and science right, that the story itself wasn't too frightening for patients, that I gave specific tips for coping and that they had many patients available as there is a PD center at his hospital.

If I understand correctly, the methodology was first to interview the three different groups about their attitudes toward Parkinson's Disease and those that have it. Then the participants read the book and redo the same interview as before their exposure to the book. They are now analyzing the responses and have agreed to loop me in on the results, which I will be glad to share here when they are available. (Provided, of course the result reflects well on the book. If not I will bury them so deep they will molder away in the dark, lost to the ages, until they become unrecognizable to man or beast. But I am confidant such measures will be unnecessary.) So stay tuned for further exciting developments!

And finally, a big fat thank-you to my friends, relatives and Whitman buddies who came out to support the sale and book signing, with extra laurels for Sue Skillman and Phil Fenner for putting me up, and putting up with me!


No comments: